Founded by Dean C. Julian Bartlett and a group of congregants in 1957, Cathedral School for Boys opened its doors a year later with eleven students in two grades with two teachers, along with Founding Headmaster Rev. David Forbes, using rooms in the Cathedral’s crypt and north bell tower. Today, the School is housed in its own state-of-the-art campus on the northwest corner of the Cathedral Close, enrolling 265 boys in grades K-8 taught by a faculty and staff of 60 people.
While the School is its own separately managed organization, it maintains close ties with the Cathedral. The Dean, Grace Cathedral Board chair, and a congregational representative sit on the School’s Board of Trustees, and the School’s Chaplain is also a member of the Cathedral’s clergy. Three days a week, the school day begins in the Grace Cathedral Choir for an all-school Chapel service. And it’s Cathedral School for Boys students who make up the treble ranks of the world-renowned Grace Cathedral Choir of Men & Boys, a connection that highlights the close ties between the School and Cathedral.