Grace Cathedral strives to be a community of joy, courage and wonder, online and in person. Phased regathering for in-person worship is underway. Please refer to the chart below which details the current options available for all to experience.
Visit the calendar for the latest list of events and links for registration to join.
This page will be updated weekly. (last update 07/23/2021)
What does Grace Cathedral offer in person now?
- Columbarium committals, with up to 4 people in the columbarium room during committal and 8 people in the gallery.
- Funerals, with up to 250 attendees.
- Weddings, with the couple and up to 250 attendees.
When will Grace Cathedral begin regathering for indoor services?
Grace Cathedral will focus on a phased regathering of Sunday and weekly services.
|Time||Name of Service||Current Experience Offering||Additional Info|
|8:30 a.m.||Service of the Word||In-Person only|
|11:00 a.m.||Choral Eucharist||Live Streaming and In-Person|
|11:00 a.m.||Children, Youth and Family Ministry||In-Person, rotating locations. Please email Steph||A series of in-person services for families with children at different, beautiful locations in and around San Francisco. The services will take place at 11 am on August 8. Please email Steph to receive details about locations and other information.|
|6:00 p.m.||Vesper Light||In-Person and Zoom|
|Time||Name of Service||Current Experience Offering||Other Info|
|9:00 a.m. M – F||Morning Prayer||Zoom only|
|5:00 p.m. Wednesday||The Vine||In-Person|
|6:15 p.m. Wednesday||Education for Ministry (EfM) Summer Series||Zoom only||For more information, and to register, email Roberta Sautter|
|11:00 a.m. Thursday||Thursday Morning Bible Study||Zoom only|
|5:30 p.m. Thursday||Choral Evensong||In-Person|
What precautions will you take?
- Pre-register service attendees is recommended. We will also capture contact info from walk ins in order to support contact tracing should that be necessary
- Ensure separate entrance and exit routes
- Health screening questions posted
- Hand sanitizers available on site
- Ensure everyone is masked while indoors
- Ensure attendees are seated with and maintain 6-feet of distance from other households
- Encourage people to socialize outside
- Fully vaccinated clergy and lay leaders may remove their masks while speaking or singing and socially distant, following new, local guidance
What about other church activities, like coffee hour, service projects or formation programs?
A phased regathering for other church activities and events are underway.
|Church Activities and Some Events||Current Experience Offering||Other Information|
|Yoga on the Labyrinth at Grace Cathedral – Tuesdays 6:15 p.m. (doors open by 5:30 pm)||In-Person||Registration is required, space is limited to 300, masks and social distance required and no yoga mat rentals.|
|Organ Recital||In-Person and Livestream|
|Forum – Mondays 6:00 p.m.||Zoom only|
|Labyrinth Walk – 2nd Friday of Month – Indoor||In-Person||Registration is required, masks are required.|
|Coffee Hour after 11 a.m. service||Coffee served on the Plaza||No food sharing until further notice.|
|Sound Bath — August 16||In-Person and Live Stream||Registration is recommended, space is limited to 300, masks and social distance required|
When will I be able to volunteer in worship again?
As we regather, the number of vested ministers serving in worship will be comparatively small, to allow for social distancing. Watch our weekly Congregation Update email, Light and Peace, and listen for announcements about volunteer opportunities.
How does Grace Cathedral make decisions on opening?
Grace Cathedral looks to the San Francisco Department of Public Health and partner agencies for general guidance for houses of worship and schools. That guidance is then interpreted and tailored for Episcopal churches by our bishop and the diocesan COVID Response Team.
Grace Cathedral’s Regathering Team meets regularly to plan our next steps, and coordinate efforts with our two onsite schools.
What can I expect from Grace?
- Well prepared staff, volunteers and facilities for each phase of regathering.
- Following the science and taking all reasonable precautions to safeguard the community.
- Communications on this webpage, in verbal announcements at services and with additional context in our weekly Congregation Update.
What can I do in the meantime? How can I be part of the church?
- Get vaccinated when you have the opportunity, and if recommended by your doctor.
- Wear a well-fitting mask, practice social distancing, avoid crowds and poorly ventilated spaces, and wash your hands frequently.
- Do your best self-care. Focus on quality rest, nutrition and interpersonal connection. Move regularly and take breaks when you can.
- Pray with us. The cathedral prays six days per week as a community, including your prayer requests.
- Ask for help. If you need personal prayer or counsel, contact the staff clergy.
- Stay connected. Whether at Bible Study or Book Group.
- Support those who are more vulnerable than you. Deliver groceries, make masks or just check in on someone you know is struggling.
- Watch the Congregation Update for ways to advocate for our vulnerable neighbors.
We thank you for your continued support and participation in the Grace community during these times. Grace thrives because of all the people involved and we couldn’t be more thankful to serve.