Blog|Dean Malcolm Clemens Young and Clement Xue
With Mardi Gras, the beginning of Lent and Easter all on the way, our planning for our March 1 Carnivale is in full swing.
What is noticeably different this year is that we have had to take a flexible approach to planning, given the challenges and uncertainties the COVID-19 pandemic continues to throw our way. We have seen case counts stabilize and start to decrease in recent days and remain hopeful that this trend will continue.
The health and safety of our guests is our first priority, and our approach is based in science – following local, state, and Diocese of California guidelines:
- Different ways to participate: We offer our guests the flexibility to participate On Set: in-person at the cathedral or In Studio: online at home, based on their comfort levels. For our In Studio guests, “Carnivale in a Box” is back, and better than ever!
- Grace Cathedral is built for safety: We will be hosting Carnivale in one of the largest spaces in San Francisco – with 1.5 million cubic feet of space. We will also be opening the Ghiberti Doors (among others) for the first time for Carnivale. The SF Department of Public Health recently inspected our building and determined that our ventilation system provides strong air circulation when heated blowers are activated due to our unique space and ceiling height
- Vaccinated, boosted and tested (negative): We fully expect our On Set guests to show up in their finest attire, and unlike cufflinks and bow ties, the following accessories will be non-optional: proof of vaccination, proof of booster, and a negative COVID-19 test taken within 24 hours of the event start. Onsite testing will be provided
- A reimagined Carnivale experience: We will be limiting our On Set guest capacity and using our space creatively to maximize distancing between guests
- We currently believe that we can prioritize safety and celebrate Carnivale together on March 1. However, should the situation not improve, we will postpone the event. Please refer HERE for our latest health & safety protocols, and guidelines for our guests. We will keep this page updated with the latest information
Your support of Carnivale 2022 is more important now than ever. Whether you’re joining us On Set or In Studio, we are certain the event won’t be the same without you. Visit gracecathedral.org/carnivale to learn more and RSVP by February 10!
The Very Rev. Malcolm Clemens Young, ThD
Dean of Grace Cathedral
Trustee and Carnivale Chair