Cathedrals have traditionally laid the departed to rest within their walls; in keeping with that tradition, in 1985, we established a columbarium, the Chapel of St. Francis. The term columbarium is derived from the Latin columba, meaning dove, an almost universal symbol of God's love and peace.
Our columbarium is located on the second and third floors of the cathedral's bell tower. It offers a peaceful and dignified location where the cremated remains of loved ones may be laid to rest in perpetuity in a space that is both beautiful and sacred.
One of America's most accomplished muralists, John De Rosen (Jan Henryk de Rosen), painted exquisite panels (1949) for the High Altar, previously in the nave, that now resides in the Chapel of St. Francis.
Requiem services are held quarterly to remember those whose ashes rest in the Chapel of St. Francis. The chapel is open for visitation, meditation and prayer at scheduled times and by request.
The columbarium is open for visitation on Sunday from 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. and from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. Appointments may be made to schedule a visit at another time by using the contact information below.
Niche spaces and memorial plaques for those who remains rest elsewhere are available. To download a PDF with information about securing a niche, please click here. For more information, please call 415-749-6309 or send an e-mail by clicking here.
Website Design and Content Management by 1250 Media